Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bulgarian Blooms--Intarsia in the Round

So, I decided to make the little white flowers gold and use a bright yellow green for the leaves (with Solstice Midsommar Sock yarn left over from my Slip-n-Slide socks; see my post for Feb 19). I worked the small flowers in a single color and plan to come back and add duplicate stitches (probably in red) to the centers.
This technique of working intarsia in the round is ingenious, but tedious. The pattern is worked over just 27 stitches so it goes fairly fast. I imagine it would be easier if I mastered knitting back backwards for the pattern segments that need to be purled with the wrong side facing. Although I'm not a big fan of this type of colorwork, it is fun to see the pattern emerge. I had trouble pulling myself away to take this photo.

3 comments:

Estelle said...

Do the colourwork segments stand up away from the main colour, or is that an illusion created by the camera?

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

Very clever knitting, and they look great!

ann budd said...

The pattern does stand out a little in relief, but I think that's more a result of my poor tension than a feature of the technique.